Republic Act 9003: Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000
WEPA Water Environment Partnership in Asia
close

Republic Act 9003: Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000

Year of Enactment and Implementation Enacted in 2000 / Enforcement 2003
Purpose Republic Act 9003 provides a systematic, comprehensive, and ecological solid waste management program in the country.
Control Area Nationwide
Overview
  • In Metro Manila, every resident generates about half a kilo of wastes a day. With an estimated population of 10.5 million, total waste generated in Metro Manila alone could run up to 5,250 metric tons per day or 162,750 metric tons per month or 1.95 million metric tons per year. Definitely, this is a lot of waste to speak of. The situation is worse if the daily waste generation is to be multiplied to the country’s population of 80 million.
  • Given the voluminous wastes generated daily, only about 73% of the 5,250 metric tons of wastes in Metro Manila are collected by dump trucks. The remaining 27% of our daily wastes or about 1,417.5 metric tons end up in canals, vacant spaces, street corners, market places, rivers, and the like.
  • The gravity of this environmental concern was underscored with the Payatas dumpsite tragedy in Quezon City when some 60,000 cubic meters of waste slid down the northern part of the dumpsite killing about 250 people. This tragedy accelerated national realization that a systematized management of the country’s wastes is an emergency matter.
Features
  • Establishment of the National Solid Waste Management Commission and the National Ecology Center which will oversee and ensure the implementation of the Act, and undertake training and education of the Act, respectively;
  • Creation of Solid Waste Management Boards at the provincial, city/municipality and barangay levels;
  • Preparation of a National Solid Waste Management Status Report that will contain an inventory of existing solid waste facilities, waste characterization, waste generation projections and other pertinent information. The report will be the basis for the development of a National Solid Waste Management Systems Framework which will eventually guild local government units (LGUs) in the preparation of their respective plans;
  • Diversion of 25% of solid wastes by LGUs from waste disposal facilities through reuse, recycling and composing activities within five years after the effectivity of the Act;
  • Establishment of a Materials Recovery Facility in every barangay or cluster of barangays;
  • Closure/upgrading of open dumpsites into controlled dumpsites within three years after the effectivity of the Act;
  • Mandatory waste segregation and recycling at the barangay level;
  • Civil, criminal and administrative liability of violators;
  • Incentives will be given to LGUs, private entities and NGOs to encourage participation in ecological solid waste management;
  • Fees shall be levied on all waste generators for solid waste management services. Fines and penalties have also been set for violators.
pagetop   close